Historic Frankfort Avenue will celebrate 4th of July by hosting a “Freedom Hop” F.A.T. Friday Trolley Hop on Friday, June 26th from 6:00pm to 10:30pm. More than 30 participating businesses along the Frankfort, Mellwood and Story Avenue corridor will be embellished with balloons, garland and miniature American flags, and trolley hoppers will enjoy FREE parking and transportation provided by TARC.
Special activities happening during the Freedom Hop on June 26th are:
• Voices of Kentuckiana will reprise the sounds of their Celluloid Broadway concert at eyedia, design it again, located at 1631 North Mellwood Avenue, from 6 to 7:30pm. Celluloid Broadway features arrangements from Broadway musicals that were made into movies, including Sweeney Todd, Hair, Hairspray, Billy Elliot the Musical, Sweet Charity, and West Side Story.
• Shine, located in the Mellwood Art Center, will offer a musical play-along at 6:00pm, a "Barefoot Boogie" Nia class at 7:00pm, a “bring your own instrument” jam out at 8:15pm, and guests can enjoy the container garden and walk the meditation labyrinth throughout the evening.
• The Mellwood Art Center, located at 1860 Mellwood Avenue, will host live music by Crushed Velvet in the courtyard, and offer $10 admission to the Bodies Human exhibit from 10:00am to 10:00pm. Last chance to get discounted admission to this fascinating and unique exhibit!
• Kaviar Forge & Gallery, located at 1718 Frankfort Avenue, will host a very unique performance at 7:00pm, when Eli Kleinsmith will dress as Abe Lincoln and rap the Gettysburg Address. There will also be an opening reception for a new exhibit “The Painted Veil”, works by James Russell May. Fire-breathing performances by Aaron Morris will be held at 7:30pm and 8:30pm, weather permitting, and refreshments and brews from BBC will be served.
• Gallery Janjobe, located in the Mellwood Art Center, will open a new show, "Playing With Fire: Flameworked Glass Bead Jewelry", with a meet-the-artist reception and demonstrations of lampworking from 6:00-9:00pm.
• Friends Lapidary and Jewelry Supply, located at 2210 Frankfort Avenue, will be offering a 10% discount on purchases of $35 or more.
• Third Lutheran Church, located at 1864 Frankfort Avenue, will be showcasing the Batik fiber art of Sandra Charles in the sanctuary.
• At Work the Metal, located in the Butchertown Market, Chef Nancy Russman, author of "Kids Club Cookbook" (coming soon), will be on-site preparing root beer floats and ice cream treats. A portion of sales from Friday night will benefit the participants of Family Scholar House.