The frenzied shopping and buffet of buttery sweets I could do without, but around Christmas, the one tradition I look forward to is picking out, propping up, and decorating a live Christmas tree. There is nothing like the smell of a fresh-cut fir in your living room, and nothing thaws my grinch-sized heart better than stringing lights and hanging sentimental ornaments from the past with my brood.
If you share the tradition of hacking down a live one, wrangling it on top of the van, and poising it ever-so perfectly in the den, or if you’ve had enough of the artificial tree carcass collecting dust in the attic, check out some of the following Kentucky Proud Christmas tree farms. Not only will you add ambiance to your abode, you’ll be supporting Kentuckiana families that nurture the soil in our landscape. They went “green” before going green was cool.
- Werkmeister’s Christmas Tree Farm-- 966 Clarks Lane, Shepherdsville, KY 40165
- Creekside Christmas Tree Farm-- 390 Browns Lane, Vine Grove, KY 40175
- Meyer Christmas Trees-- 24619 Tome Evans Road, Borden, IN 47106
- Bruce L. Real Tree Farm-- 1902 Ekin Avenue, New Albany
- Tower View Farms and Nursery-- 12523 Taylorsville Road, Louisville, KY 40299
- Alpine Ridge Christmas Tree Farm-- 2316 Windsor Forest Drive, Louisville, KY 40272 (LaGrange)
And for the decorations? Buy a few free-trade embellishments at Just Creations. I found hand-made angels and santas from Peru, beautiful, miniature mangers resting inside an egg-shell from Guatemala (?), and tiny owls to adorn the green goddess. Most ornaments are under $8 each. If you’re a flor-de-lis lover, pick up a few metal ones tied off with red ribbon from EyeDia.
For more information, visit www.kychristmastreefarms.com.