- He ran twice at Churchill as a 2-year-old, including a third-place finish last July
- Well bred. His sire (Bluegrass Cat) was second to Barbaro in Derby 132
- His distant third-place finish behind Bodemeister in the Arkansas Derby is deceptive. Sabercat already had the graded-stakes earnings to make the Derby field; he didn't need to win the race, just get in a solid outing. Which he did
- He may be a Triple-A horse playing in the Majors
- In his two starts this year, both graded-stakes races at Oaklawn Park, he lost by a combined 16 lengths
- He simply may not be fast enough; his top performance — a four-length victory in the $1 million Delta Downs Jackpot — merited only an 85 Beyer speed figure
His grandsire, Forty Niner, finished second to Winning Colors in Derby 114.
A hard-trying sort, he's worth including in exotics. A bit of a "wise guy" horse on the backside.